Free training is available for volunteers at all levels.
Some training is mandatory, but it doesn’t take long and you may be able to use your previous training as proof (e.g. First Aid).
Other training depends on what role you take. The information below shows you what could be available.
• GDPR training - this is on-line training and takes about 10 minutes in front of a computer. The training module can be found here.
• First Aid. Either ½ day course run by us or, if you have done it at work or another area, let us know.
• Safeguarding. A ½ day course run by us.
• Safety - a 2 hour course run by us - generally done at the same time as safeguarding.
Role based training
• Getting Started. A one day course run by us for all Leaders, Assistant Leaders and Sectional Assistants. If you are helper, you don’t need to do it, but it is fun and you meet loads of new people and learn fantastic skills.
• Wood Badge. 2 weekends spread over about 6 months for all section leaders and assistant leaders. The ultimate course for learning everything about Scouting. It really is fun.
To see what courses are available, just click here or one of the blue button below for a calendar of events being held in the next 12-18 months.
Getting started with your training
We want all of our volunteers to feel confident and capable in their roles. When you join, you’ll be matched with a Training Adviser and given a list of adult training modules to browse through. Some of these modules are relevant to all volunteers. Others are role-specific.
New leaders should begin with our Getting Started modules. Completing these will help you get to grips with the role. It will also equip you with the tools you need to start building a personal learning plan - making the most of the skills you already have, and empowering you to develop new ones.